Monday, May 2, 2011

weekly word


hu-mil-i-ty

1. a disposition to be humble;  a lack of false pride
2. a humble feeling.

"Humility is marked by meekness and modesty in behavior,attitude, or spirit."
It's a willingness to obey Father no matter the cost. It's letting go of myself and living a life that is not all about ME. It's putting others first.  Humility is the path to holiness. It's the way of Jesus. 

I think humility can be a hard word to define. Kind of like beauty. Love. Peace. Joy. It's easier to spot it. 
I wonder if the people in my life see humility in me? Maybe sometimes. But, much of the time, I would bet to say the people living under my roof, see more pride than humility. I guess like our salvation, humility is something that has to be worked out in our lives. 


That's why I chose HUMILITY to be my word of focus this week. It's an area in my life I must work out.


Plan for the week:
1. I bought the book: Humility by Andrew Murray this morning on the kindle. I have heard that it is a rich resource on learning to live a humble life. I'll give it a read this week.


















2. Pray fervently for Father to work humility into my heart and spirit.
3. Be mindful about when I need to ask forgiveness from someone that I may have wounded because of my pride.
4. Remember that it is not about ME. 

"Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real." -Thomas Merton


"Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you will get on your feet." James 4:10

Who have you spotted humility in recently?

Kristin 

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

OOOh! I really like this Thomas Merton quote!