Thursday, December 30, 2010

YUCK... But It Will Make You Better.

When I was a little girl I hated taking medicine. Who am I kidding, I still hate taking medicine. But, when I was little it became a traumatic experience for me any time I had to partake in the nasty stuff. My mother would coax me and encourage me until she would get red with frustration. She would say to me, "Kristi, just close your eyes and hold your nose and take it fast. It will be over before you know it." She encouraged, "It will make you better." I didn't care about that, all I knew was it was nasty and I DIDN'T want it. I even remember one time my parents calling my grandparents over and it taken four adults to get the stuff in me. I hated taking medicine and that was that. I was also pretty stubborn and strong willed. What should have been easy, I made hard.

I was talking to a friend today who is struggling with some decisions in obeying God. She is praying and asking Father for some specific guidance and direction and through His infallible Word He is answering her clearly. The answers are not necessarily what she is wanting to hear, but in walking with her on this journey, I cannot deny that she is being lead in the truth through His Word. And she is obeying, though not wanting to. She said to me today, "But I don't have to like it do I?" "No" I said. "It is kind of like taking medicine, we don't like it but we have to take it to get better."

I thought about that revelation though the remainder of my afternoon. How often I have been stubborn and strong willed, making something hard when it should be easy. How often I have fought my loving Fathers remedy for joy and peace, prolonging my illness.
Father, forgive me for refusing your medicine. From now on help me to trust you and take the medicine you give me so that I can get better.

Have you ever fought medicine that would make you better.

No comments: