Thursday, April 2, 2009

Do a U Turn...


If you were a road sign, what sign would you be? STOP, Yield, Under Construction? If I were a road sign, I would like to be the U Turn. Telling those who are going in the wrong direction, they can turn here and go the other way, the right way. I learned what it meant to be a U Turn from my husband. In our third year of marriage, I somehow was heading in the wrong direction. In fact I was on the wrong road, heading in the wrong direction. I was on the road of Lies, full of pride, fulfilling my own selfish desires and heading in the direction of destruction. I made choices on that road that hurt many people and destroyed my marriage. I was untruthful, unfaithful, and hurtful, which led us down the path to divorce. On this road God had much to teach me. I was trucking along, doing my own thing, caring for my own needs, MY way, thinking of nobody else, and unyielding to God's call on my life. That's a common road we all take at times. Our way, Our thing, unfaithful to the God who made us for His purpose. Yeah, this was the road I was on, and I deeply hurt my husband while traveling there. At the same time that I was heading down this road of death and destruction God was working in my husbands heart. He was setting up a U Turn. My husband remained faithful to me, steady in his actions, never slandering me in anger. He was firm but fair, consistently loving me without depending on my love in return. I began to realize what I was doing. It had been a long day at work and I was tired and hungry. I was ready to be finished. I knew I had to pick our daughter up from my husbands apartment, go home, prepare dinner, and do bath and bedtime, all to start over again. When I arrived at his apartment, he had cooked dinner and had set a hot plate of food on the table for me. For ME!!! I didn't deserve this, but it was there, for me to enjoy. I ate my fill, gathered our daughter and things and went about my business, he didn't expect anything in return. That's just like God. I knew then, that the direction I was going in was wrong. That's what happens when we repent,we realize that we are heading in the wrong direction. God's love and faithfulness is our U Turn sign. God just used my husband and a hot plate of food to be mine, on that particular road. I turned and went in the opposite direction, the right direction. I got on the right road. That road is called Truth and I headed in the direction of forgiveness and reconciliation. My marriage was restored and my heart was redeemed, because of Gods love and faithfulness. Sometimes we need a U Turn sign and sometimes we need to be the U Turn sign...

"Repent, and turn from your sins. Don't let them destroy you! Put all your rebellion behind you, and find yourself a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die? I don't want you to die says the Sovereign Lord. Turn back and live!" Ezekiel 18:30-32

No comments: