Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year, Clean Head...



This past year I experienced a rut. Several months of unseeming growth and battles of anxiety. I had been running from God, because I feared what He would reveal to me or may have me do. It was the middle of the year and I was working with an elderly lady, Ms. Betty, who suffered from Dementia/Alzheimers and was confused much of the time. I love her dearly. This one particular week was very busy with appointments and different functions. She needed assistance with a shower and all week she would bathe but never had time to wash her hair. By Friday, she could have went into the oil business, I was determined to get her in the shower and scrub that nasty head. I washed her hair three times, troughly, and felt much better about it. After her shower, I would help her into a chair and I would proceed to dry and style her hair. I left the room to fetch a few needed things and when I returned, Ms. Betty was crying. I asked her " Why are you crying?" her response was," It just feels so good to be clean." The night before I had awoke at 2am (Not by Choice) to spend some much needed time with my Lord, that I had been avoiding like the plague. I was convicted of my lack of obedience and wept though the night. Sitting in that small bathroom, I shared this with my dearest friend, and this is what she said. " Oh, the Lord has such wonderful plans for you. He is going to pour water over you like you poured that water over me in the shower, He wants to scrub you clean, just like you used your hands to scrub me clean. But, you see, you won't feel clean until your head is clean." Ahhhh, tears rolled down my face as I stared at that sweet little lady. I knew God was speaking to me, telling me not to be afraid, that He is gentle and loving. The funny thing is, Ms. Betty began to say things that made no sense and suddenly she said, "What? ohh, God just told me to shut up." That's all she needed to say, I won't feel clean until my head is clean. Ms. Betty had bathed all week, but she could not feel clean until her head was clean. I asked God right then to clean me, and that's just what he did. For several months He bathed me in His word. When my head was clean, I was able to run after God, seek Him without fear and guilt. As we race full steam into a new year, I pray that Christ's body will have a clean head. In 2009 I resolve to allow God to wash me, do away with the rotten and old, and replace the old with fresh and new. God's word tells us that if we belong to Him the old has passed away and behold all things are made new. Let us start the new year with a clean head.

"You'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies." Philippians 4: 8-9 (The Message)

No comments: