Friday, December 17, 2010

In A Blink...

This morning I was driving Madison to school, trying to be careful of the black ice on the roads. because every now and then I could feel us sliding around a bit. We were singing along with the radio: "It happens in a blink, it happens in a flash, it happens in the time it took to look back." was the lyrics we were proudly belting out together. The song ended and went back to the morning show hosts usual banter. Madison questioned, "What happens in a blink?" "Life", I said. "Life happens in a blink." and it made me ponder...

Where do my days go?
My babies are no longer babies.
I am no longer a newlywed.
30 something... really?
It happens in a blink.

I thought to myself, I must be intentional about slowing down and living. Taking more moments like yesterday afternoon when I had planned to busy myself with Christmas shopping and instead surprised Madison with a cup of hot chocolate at lunch.
I got a special blessing out of it when one of the teachers stood on the stage and sang beautifully "Silent Night" and "Away in a Manger". The lunchroom full of 6th graders cheered like it was Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift on stage. It happens in a blink.

Or spending the afternoon baking homemade sugar cookies with the kids for their class parties instead of flippantly rushing into the store to buy pre-made ones, because I don't have enough time. The cold, rainy afternoon was filled with Christmas songs, laughs about smudges of flour on our noses, intensely hoping that each cut out stays perfectly intact, and taste testing our yummy creations...
But the best part was feeling completely connected to my children and receiving sweet gestures such as, "Thank you mommy for coming to have lunch with me today."  It happens in a blink.

It's sitting close to my husband with his arms wrapped around my shoulders as we watch our son sing "The Christmas Tree Rap" with all his heart, at his 1st grade Christmas program. The pride I felt seeing him standing tall and confident singing every word that he had been practicing for weeks. Watching him smile at us, and being thankful that he can look out and see his mom and dad together.
Afterwards we talked to one of Andrews buddies and his mom over a doughnut and orange juice. We exchanged numbers on a napkin, and left with a hope of building new friendships. It happens in a blink.

December bedtime routines have involved Christmas stories. Some classic and others modern. We sit on the couch together by the lit Christmas tree. We share stories of Ox, camals, sheep, and baby Jesus. Stories about Christmas trees and special traditions that have been handed down over the years.
 I feel two new pair of PJs snuggle next to me, and two young faces lean against my shoulders as they listen to each tale. I know this will not last forever because...  
It happens in a blink. 

I realize that this is the stuff life is made of. And it happens in the time it took to look back...

What have you captured of life recently? 

No comments: