Thursday, May 13, 2010

IF HE... WE



In the past several weeks my husband and I have faced circumstances in our lives that have called for confession, repentance, and forgiveness. In going though this often very difficult process, George and I have searched God's Word for what He says about forgiveness and George wrote something that he would like to add to my blog, so I'm going to post it here...

Luke 23:34
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

We all sin against God daily, be it a little thing or big. In some cases we fear turning and facing our sins or at other times we know it and claim it. But what is so amazing about this verse is that the men Jesus were speaking of in Luke 23:24 have not acknowledged their sins or asked for forgiveness. They’re not repentant or showing regret, and more than likely they are thinking he’s getting what he’s got coming to him. Let’s take it a step further, these guys are sitting in the corner shooting craps over the only meager possessions Christ had. They aren’t sitting there going “OH Crap we just beat down our lord and savior. What have we done?” No, they are laughing and mocking him. Now take a look, here’s our Savior, beaten, spit on, bloody, exhausted, broken, and we see him turn to his father in his pain, and ask that they be forgiven. SAY WHAT! How in the world, in that moment, could you or I mutter those words, “Father, Forgive them…” and then claim their innocence “for they know not what they are doing.” PLEEASE! That’s right. Our Savior made no prerequisites for this forgiveness, and to top that, he did it right then with no hesitation. He forgave again and again all through His life, even while hanging on the cross. You know, I’m beginning to think I’m not going to be able to get around this forgiveness thing. And it gets harder people. This is our pattern to follow. If we claim Christ we have to do the same. If at this point in your life someone has wronged you, it is your responsibility to forgive them. Now please understand that there is a difference between reconciliation and forgiveness. It may take time to heal or build back the relationship, but as for offering forgiveness to the ones who have wronged you, I don’t think Christ could have been clearer in our calling to forgive.

Thank you God for forgiving me, and Lord please know that I offer now forgiveness to those who have wronged me, for no pain I have EVER suffered is as equal or to be truthful, not even close to what Jesus Christ has suffered for me. God if there is someone who feels they need forgiveness from me please open the opportunity for me to offer it humbly to them and please reveal to me anyone to whom I need to ask forgiveness for having wronged them. Thank you Lord. Amen.

George S. Spehar III

I am so thankful that we have a God who clearly shows us what forgiveness looks like, and I am also thankful that I have a husband who reflects God's character to me everyday.

2 comments:

Blind in Damascus said...

George, your servants heart, friendship and witness in and through your marriage has blessed my life. God's forgiveness and Christ's sacrifice are overpowering!
Thanks for your post. Phil. 1:6b
YBIC
Paul

Karen Hammons said...

I just LOVE y'all!!!! God rocks! :)