Monday, November 17, 2008

The Watchmen


I was thinking about our dog the other day. Her name is Taylor and she is 14 years old. Her age is really starting to show with gray hair that covers her face and the spunk of a young dog has long left. Her days move in slow motion with a slight limp from bad arthritis. Never-the-less she is a great dog. She has seen our family though everything that we have endured. She has adjusted to every move, and has survived the Spehar pet curse, as I call it, that has claimed twelve other critters we have adopted into our family. I have always said that dog has an angel of her very own. She has laid at my feet when I was sick, shared in heartbreaks and joyful homecomings. But the most amazing thing about Taylor that comes to my mind today is the way she watches and waits and reports. God appointed watchmen to sit upon the fortified walls and report, sound the horn, when danger was coming to his people, or announce the coming of a King. I believe God still calls watchmen to sit upon the wall and sound the horn of danger that is coming to our culture, or maybe to announce the coming of a King. I have noticed Taylor is a watchmen for this home. She will let her voice be heard when an unfamiliar party is entering the territory of our home. I always know when my husband is almost home, because, no matter the time of day and what that little dog is doing, approximatly ten minutes upon his arrival she will walk to the door and wait. Wagging that tail with all she has, she'll pace to the window and watch. Back and forth, she is eagerly anticipating the arrival of her master. She lets me know that he is almost here with her wiggles and whines of pure excitement. The kids and I are usually preoccupied with other things that have our attention at the moment, but not her. It seems her job is to watch, wait, and report. I wonder if we are preoccupied and distracted with the things of this world, or are you watching and sounding the horn of the dangers heading our way, and waiting with exploding excitement upon the arrival of our Master...

"I will climb up into my watchtower now and wait to see what the Lord will say to me." Hab. 2:1

2 comments:

teriallen said...

I loved this article because I had not thought about how our little dogs are watchmen and how we can learn from them, just as you described, watching and waiting to announce our master's arrival! Very inspiring! Thanks!

George said...

Kristin, You have such a ear for god in your life. I love you.