Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Foundation of our Heart


Living from my heart is a battle every day, in fact every moment. The battle is for the heart. Very seldom do I actually live from this deep, complex and intimate place. Mostly I live from my head, Swirling with worries, doubts, and deadlines. Trying to keep up with this world and all it throws at me. The world loves to keep me distracted,driven to compare, judge, and scheme to accomplish the things I believe will bring value to my life. When all God wants me to do is trust Him for what I need and Thank Him for His provisions in my life. Why is this so hard to do? Why do I live in my head and not my heart? Whats the key to opening my heart and dwelling there. Jesus taught me last night as I was reading from His life that I must have a strong,solid foundation. Ok, I can look at my heart as a house or home. This home needs a strong and solid foundation so that it can withstand the storms of life and what the world deals out. That foundation of course is Jesus. What he says I need to do to lay a solid foundation is come to Him and hear what he has to say, listen to him and then obey. In order to hear Him I have to be close to him, I have to commune and fellowship with him daily. That takes time, precious time. Spending time in his word and in prayer, with other Christians seeking his abundant life. When he impresses things on my heart I must obey. The foundation is being laid, hearing and obeying. Then I am able to hold fast against the battles, the storms that undoubtedly will come my way. Foundation means the basis on which a thing stands, underlying support, base. The base of my heart must be hearing and obeying Jesus Christ. I know that when I trust God and thank him for the things he is doing in my life, when I live close enough to him to hear his still small voice and obey his call I will have a solid, strong foundation that will handle any storm.

"All those who come and listen and obey me are like a man who builds a house on a strong foundation laid upon the underlying rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against the house, it stands firm for it is strongly built. But those who listen and don't obey are like a man who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against the house, it crumbles into a heap of ruins." Luke 6:48-49

No comments: